Poet’s Walk can be found to the west of Clevedon and is owned by North Somerset Council. Many poets and writers have visited Clevedon, including Coleridge in 1795 and Tennyson in 1834 and it is from this that Poet’s Walk received its name.
The site encompasses Church Hill and Wain’s Hill with calcareous grassland, coastal scrub and woodland that are exposed to wind and salt spray from the Severn Estuary. The steeper slopes support a variety of wild flowers, while the plateau areas are less species rich.
The site is a valuable site for wintering and migratory birds.
Wain’s Hill is a Scheduled Ancient Monument (SAM) due to the national importance of it’s Iron Age hill fort.
Access: Poet’s Walk is close to Clevedon Town and its Victorian seafront which is well signposted. There is a public car park on Salthouse Road, adjacent to the Salthouse field. This can be reached from Southern Way. There is also limited parking space along Old Church Road, reached from Southern Way.
Pedestrian access points are as follows:
• Between the Salthouse Hotel and the marine lake
• A flight of steps leads up to the site from a footpath that runs from Salthouse Road, between the buildings of Salthouse Court
• From the entrance of St Andrews Church
• From the very end of Old Church Road, past St Andrews Church.
Poet’s Walk is a public Right of Way and a circular route can be walked. Paths that run across the tops of both hills are informal.